Are you always on your feet? Do you have a job that requires you to stand for hour on end? Standing doesn’t sound that taxing but in reality it takes it’s toll on your body, it can actually cause more problems than if you were moving about.
We all have to earn money and when you have a jobs in retail, hospitality, medical and manual it’s difficult to just decide to sit down when your task means you have to be on your feet.
The reason that standing up for long hours is hard is because your feet are a long way from your heart. It takes a lot of effort to get the blood back up your legs to be re-oxygenated in your heart. Just walking around helps keep the blood moving. When you are standing still for long periods the blood flow is reduced, causing swelling and aching in your feet and legs.
These are some of the symptoms you might have after a day on your feet.
Here are some ways to reduce these problems.
- Invest in quality footwear—supportive and cushioned shoes. If you are wearing heels, try lower ones. When buying these shoes, shop in the afternoons when your feet are at their largest. Choose shoes with laces so that you can ease the pressure when your feet do start to swell.
- Fit some suitable arch support insoles into your shoes; these support your feet in the proper alignment meaning your muscles do not have to work as hard.
- Wear compression socks help the blood flow back to your heart.
- Keep your feet in optimum condition regular foot exercises.
- Switch positions frequently. Sway slightly or do some heel raises to keep your muscles moving.
- Take a break, and sit down for 20 minutes.
- Chat to a podiatrist for advice tailored to you.
Here are a few ways to relieve the ache at the end of the day
- Elevate your feet when you get home. Popping your feet up on a cushion on a stool to get your feet above your heart will mean your veins won’t have to work as hard.
- Do gentle foot exercises.
- Enjoy an Epsom salt bath; it helps alleviate muscle tension.
For more personalised advice, book an appointment to see me, I have lots of ideas and treatments that will ease your tired feet.